Auto collisions, accidents, and rear-enders are not uncommon in New Mexico. A considerable of cases are reported in Albuquerque alone. So, what should you do after an unfortunate car accident? Taking immediate steps is necessary, not just for your injuries, but also to protect your rights and scope to seek compensation for your suffering and losses. Contacting an Albuquerque personal injury attorney is also important in that context. In this post, check important steps to follow after a car accident in NM.
- Call law enforcement, and 911 (if necessary). Do not wait to inform the local law enforcement, no matter what or who caused the accident. Even if you are at fault, you must call the police. Also, if people are injured, other drivers need medical attention, call 911.
- Note all details. You need to gather evidence at the accident site. Take photos of the accident scene, and if possible, get video footage. Also, take contact info, insurance details, and names of drivers involved. If there are witnesses to the accident, note their details too.
- See a doctor. Your injuries after a car accident may not be apparent right away. You must still see a doctor and ensure that you get an examination done. The medical documentation will come in handy, if you decide to file a personal injury lawsuit.
- Inform your insurer. While you are required to file an insurance claim with the at-fault party’s insurer, you must still inform your own insurer in time. The statute of limitations in New Mexico do not apply to insurance claims.
Hiring a personal injury lawyer
So, do you really need a personal injury lawyer? It depends on many factors. If you have suffered serious injuries in an accident that happened because of someone’s neglect, you should consider consulting an attorney. Also, New Mexico follows the pure comparative negligence rule, so if you had a share in fault, this will impact your final settlement. An attorney can work to protect your interests. You should definitely consult an attorney in Albuquerque, if –
- Your injuries are severe
- You are dealing with temporary or permanent disabilities because of the accident
- You have a role in causing the accident
- You are not sure what caused the accident
- There were a bunch of other vehicles or a truck involved
Find an attorney, who specializes in personal injury law and has worked on car accident lawsuits similar to yours. Don’t shy away from asking about their experience.